Title- Remembrance – A Heart Lines Novel
Author- Heather Hildenbrand
Genre- Paranormal New Adult
Purchase Link- Amazon
She’s the cure that could save him. If only she could remember how.
Two years ago, 20 year-old Samantha Knight experienced a life-altering trauma. Unfortunately, she can’t remember what it was. Previously outgoing, fun, and carefree—it’s as if someone flipped a switch on Sam’s insides. Now, she’s afraid of everything, socially awkward, and convinced she’s going crazy. As Beyonce would say, she woke up like this. Sam tries her best to juggle college classes, work, and the nosiest roommate ever, but behind the curtain, Sam’s life is all about keeping a firm grip on her own mind. And life is kicking her ass.
Alex Channing has only one enemy in this world: werewolves. Born and raised to fight in the supernatural military, he has become an expert at hunting and killing rabid werewolves. But when Alex is bitten and infected, he finds himself racing against a ticking clock for his own survival.
Alex’s search for a cure leads him finally to an oracle in a seaside town in California. And she gives him the reading of a lifetime. The key to his cure is a girl who forgets things, cries spontaneously, and might just be insane. And the only way she can save him is to do the one thing Alex knows is impossible: she has to remember.
Samantha Knight can’t seem to remember why or what has her feeling so lost and scared. She use to be your typical vibrant and social teenager but everything changed for her 2 years ago. The kicker is she has no idea what made her this way or why she shows signs of PTSD.
To hide the dramatic change in her she moves away from most of her family and friends, all except her crazy Aunt who set’s her up with a job. Samantha tries to keep busy with work and school to keep her mind off of her anxiety and fears. Just when she thinks she can breathe a little everything comes crashing down and her past comes back to haunt her.
I want to start my review with a note that I purchased this book at a book con because it had such a beautiful cover and I wanted to feature it on my bookstagram. I of course planned on reading it eventually after I had read a chunk of my TBR. That was way before the synopsis sucked me into clearing my TBR and reading this bad boy in one sitting. ONE sitting folks- thank the coffee gods because I would not have survived the morning after, especially with such a hangover- yep serious book hangover after this one! In the word’s of Beyonce- “I woke up like this” only it wasn’t “flawless” but it was oh so worth it!!
I fell hard for Samantha and her brokenness. I am not a fan of the perfect character- her brokenness made her all the real for me and made me feel so invested in finding out what broke her. I think I may have developed a bit of a girl crush….
The author showed off her writing chops by creating such an original and fresh take on the paranormal world. The author had a way of making me feel what Samantha felt and the story was addicting and quite the page turner! The plot and premise was so artfully written that the reader has no choice but to be completely sucked in!
I truly loved this book and recommend it to any one who loves paranormal NA novels!
Rating 5 out of 5 cupcakes!
French Toast with Whiskey Caramel and Bananas!
Okay so this is not a dish that is featured in the book but was inspired by the fact that all they ever eat is breakfast and our hero Alex’s favorite choice of drink is Whiskey. Honestly not to sound like a lush but this tasted so yummy for breakfast this morning!
- 1 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup your brand of Whiskey
- 4 slices of white bread ( or you can be super fancy and use banana bread we were out so I opted for good ol’ wonder bread!)
- 2 xtra large eggs ( or 3 Medium)
- 2 bananas sliced thick
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Heat sugar, water and butter on medium heat, swirling the pan roughly 15 minutes or until a deep amber color is reached. Watch closely as not to let it burn, cause burnt caramel taste crappy.
- Turn off heat and slowly add condensed milk while stirring.
- Add pinch of cinnamon and whiskey turning the heat on low and stir till it thickens up a bit.
- Last but not least add your bananas, do not stir as you will break the bananas. Swirl the pan- your goal is to lightly caramelize your bananas with out over cooking the caramel.
- Transfer to a heat-safe dish and let cool. You can store this covered in your refrigerator (if there is any left) and bring to room temp or heat in a warm water bath before serving.
Instructions for French Toast
- In a mixing bowl whisk together eggs, vanilla, cinnamon (to your liking) and cream (and if you like a kick a splash of whiskey).
- Coat each slice of bread in mixture and caramelize in a greased pan (simple french toast recipe)
- Pour that yummy whiskey caramel over your toast and enjoy!
Heather Hildenbrand was born and raised in a small town in Virginia where she was home-schooled through high school. (She’s only slightly socially awkward as a result.) She lives in FL and writes romance of all kinds with plenty of abs and angst.
Her most frequent hobbies are riding motorcycles and avoiding killer slugs.